Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Northern Lights


About this time last year I saw the Northern Lights for the first time. I was up in Montana, almost as far North as you can go before you're in Canada, therefore when I say that I saw the Northern lights... I mean I SAW the Northern Lights.

I stood outside of my cabin with friends and watch them for a good 30+ minutes. It was one of the most magical sights I've ever encountered. If I didn't know any better, I would have fully believed I was watched UFO's in the sky. (I can only imagine how much it freaked people out before they had scientists to figure that shit out.) The lights would appear in one area of the sky, bright and fierce, shooting straight down as if they were actually touching the Earth; then they would slowly move across the sky in waves and fade away, but not before another beam would magically appear. This was all happening over and over again, but almost never in the same pattern. There really is no way to describe it. And I really wish I had a camera nice enough to capture it.

I bring this up because I just read an article about the Northern Lights being visible tonight. I don't know if we will be able to see them from here, but I will certainly try.
Here is a link to the article (its short):

"The sun erupted on Sunday, spewing plasma..... When the remnants of the plasma reach our atmosphere, they move towards the magnetic poles and go bang, creating famous and bizarre lights at the poles."
[They go BANG!!! hahaha!]


Also, here is a video I found:



I am such a space nerd. I love this shit.

So if you are out and about tonight, make sure to look up at the sky and see if you can find a little something extra dancing in the stars. :)

No comments: