Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Titanic


When Titanic came out, I was 13. I saw it in theatres about 3 or 4 times. I bawled my eyes out every time. However, I was watching the movie as an innocent teen watching a love story. I cried for the couple that didn't get to continue living and loving each other.

On Sunday evening, Titanic came on TV... So mom and I watched it. It's the first time I've seen it probably since I was 14 or 15 (so about ten years). This time as I watched, I watched it as a historical documentation of something that ACTUALLY happened. I cried this time, but not for Jack, and not for Rose, not for the ficticious love story... but for the 1,500+ people that lost their lives that night. I cried for the unimaginable TERROR that they had to go through in the time that their trusty ship sank out from under them. I cried for the people who got LOCKED in the bottom of the ship, with no hope to even TRY and survive. I cried for the people who were left stranded in the ice cold water to die. I cried for the SIX people who were saved by the ONE boat that came back. I cried for all the people on land who lost a loved one to the ocean that night.


What a tragedy. It has seriously traumatized me. I really can't even fathom the fear that would be pulsing through your veins as all of this happened around you, and knowing that there really is nothing you can do but face the inevitable outcome.

I also can't imagine living through that... that would haunt me for the rest of my life.
I can't stop thinking about it. Therefore, my thoughts go out to all the people who had to go through such a horrific experience.

No comments: